Cult hero Aussie football star begs for help battling his ice addiction so he can stay out of jail after arrest for breaching his bail by using deadly drug
- Kerem Bulut, 30, begged to be released from custody following Friday arrest
- One time Young Socceroo, now 30, breached bail conditions after taking ice
- Once was touted as a future national team star, played professionally in Europe
- Four year ban from 2018 after positive cocaine test saw Bulut’s life fall apart
Fallen former football star Kerem Bulut has begged for help as he struggles to overcome an ice addiction which started in jail.
The one-time A-League cult hero with Western Sydney Wanderers, 30, was arrested on Friday for breaching his bail conditions by using the deadly drug.
Appearing in the Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday, the former gun striker, who previously secured European contracts in Germany, Greece and Turkey, acknowledged his life has fallen apart.
He pleaded with Magistrate Eve Wynhausen not to be sent back for another stint behind bars.
‘I wasn’t aware of my bail conditions, I thought I was just on parole, but there’s still no excuse,’ Bulut said.
‘I came out of jail with a drug problem. ‘I’ve admitted to parole, to drug and alcohol (supervisors), that I do need help.’
Fallen football star Kerem Bulut is struggling with an ice addiction which started in jail
The one-time A-League cult hero with Western Sydney Wanderers, 30, was arrested on Friday for breaching his bail conditions by using the deadly drug
He also stated that ‘jail isn’t the best thing for me’ as he looks to manage his drug problem, according to the Daily Telegraph.
Bulut’s request for freedom was granted, with Magistrate Wynhausen releasing him from custody.
He must live with his father and stepmother at their Woolloomooloo home in inner Sydney, abide by a 9pm-7am curfew, and also not touch alcohol or illicit drugs.
Police will also visit the address at least five times a week.
Once a Young Socceroo seemingly with the world at his feet, Bulut’s fall from grace has left many football fans wondering what could have been.
With Australia crying out for a quality striker since Tim Cahill retired four years ago, Bulut was regarded by good judges as the answer to the Socceroos’ goal-scoring woes, such was his quality.
His litany of problems began in 2018 when Bulut was banned from the sport for four years after using cocaine while playing professionally in Turkey.
Appearing in the Parramatta Bail Court on Saturday, the former gun striker, who previously secured European contracts in Germany, Greece and Turkey, acknowledged his life has fallen apart
Bulut’s downward spiral began in 2018 when he was banned from football for four years after using cocaine while playing professionally in Turkey
Then in March last year, Bulut allegedly left his cellmate with a broken eye socket at Silverwater Prison, in western Sydney.
He was in remand after allegedly assaulting a man at a house party at Rockdale in the city’s south on March 5.
Police allege Bulut attacked the man behind bars after he was told: ‘Yep, in a minute’ when asked to turn out their cell light.
Prison guards allegedly found the injured cellmate two hours later before he was taken to Concord Hospital to be treated.
Bulut was charged with causing grievous bodily harm to a person with intent, assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and recklessly inflicting grievous bodily harm.
He will next appear in court on June 21 to face a string of other charges for separate alleged offending.